The Importance of Wellness Visits for Your Senior Cat
Find food that fits your pet’s needs
Find a dog food that fits your pet’s needs
Find a cat food that fits your pet’s needs
Your senior cat could be hiding something. Specifically, yours could be hiding an illness right now and you'd never even know it.
This is a vital reason why veterinary visits for senior cats should never be overlooked. In fact, it's advised to increase your veterinary visits as your cat ages. Doing so is the best way to prevent any major health issues, and to help aid in your cat's longevity.
Here are other reasons why frequent veterinary visits are so important for senior cats:
- Cat owners may fail to notice subtle changes in their senior cats and the importance of recognizing them
- Health changes can occur quickly in senior cats
- Several medical conditions start to develop in cats once they reach middle age
- Cats, especially in their senior years, are prone to underlying conditions while appearing fine physically
- Early detection of conditions typically results in easier management, improved quality of life and less veterinary costs
- Frequency of behavior problems in cats increases with age – a recent study* found 28% of pet cats aged 11-14 develop at least one behavior problem
*American Association of Feline Practitioners – Senior Care Guidelines, Dec. 2008
Everybody’s heart melts at the sight of a new kitten. But that adorable bundle of fluff you’re bringing home is going to need looking after for life. And because cats can have nine lives, that’s a long time! Giving your kitten a good start in life is the best way to make sure you’ll both enjoy many years of fun together.
It's not uncommon for a cat to be afraid of loud noises, especially thunder and fireworks. They usually display by hiding. A cat suffering from a substantial fear of loud noises may begin to display anxious behavior before the thunder begins. Rain on the roof of the house, bright flashes of light or even the drop in air pressure before a storm may be enough to trigger anxiety.